Re: requirement on gettext

Hi Guys,

> Ben Elliston <bje@redhat.com> writes:
>
> As an aside, .gmo files are derived objects and should be placed in
> the build directory and not the source directory.  Is a patch along
> these lines (one for each of the tool directories) acceptable?

I agree that they should be in the build world.  I suspect that your
patch is incomplete though, since I think that you will need to modify
the install-data-yes rule to pick up the .gmo files from the build
directory.

: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> writes:
:
: They are distributed in the snapshots, aren't they?

They are now.  I have recently added the rule to the top level
makefile to do this.  (And checked that they are now appearing in the
snapshots).

: They should also be distributed in releases.

This should start to happen with the next release.

: However, they are not in CVS.  Maintainers who use CVS must have the
: msgfmt program.

This is my preferred solution.

: Or we could put them in CVS, and have them rebuilt if you configure
: with --enable-maintainer-mode.

Keeping binary files in CVS is not really a good idea.  At least that
is what I have been told.

+ Geoff Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> writes:
+
+ If they're not in CVS, they should probably be in .cvsignore,
+ otherwise one day someone will check them in by mistake.

A good idea.  I will do this today.

Cheers
        Nick