Re: libtool in binutils question

On Jan 11, 2002, Steve Ellcey <sje@cup.hp.com> wrote:

> OK, I am going to try and raise the libtool issue again.

Sorry that I've been so unresponsive.  I keep promising to myself I'm
going to look into it, but I never have the time to do it :-(

> Are there any plans to update the version of libtool in binutils?

Yes, but see above.

> I described the process I followed in
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-11/msg00762.html, and while
> it did involve using an automake and autoconf newer then binutils (and
> GCC) currently require, I had no problems with the build itself.

I'm not sure we're ready to switch over to autoconf 2.5x, but I don't
see a problem in using automake 1.5.  The autoconf 2.5x issues are the
most relevant ones that have been causing me to postpone this task.
I'd rather make the upgrade independently, so that we spread the
breakage along a longer period (instead of breaking everything at once
and then not knowing where to start trying to fix it :-) but if a
newer libtool requires autoconf 2.5x (*) , we should start by officially
adopting autoconf 2.5x, and only then upgrading libtool.  If you can
show that both the src and the gcc repositories keep working after all
their autoconf-generated configure scripts are rebuilt, I'm game, but
I've heard reports that said we were not ready for that yet.

And then, there's the other issue: do we really want to require all
developers of GCC and tools hosted in the src repo to be forced to
switch to autoconf 2.5x?  I'd rather not make that a requirement, but
if a newer libtool forces that decision, we may have to eventually
take that route.

* one would probably expect me to know that, being officially one of
the maintainers of libtool, but I've been away from it for so long
that I don't know what's going on over there :-(