Problem with cross-compile linker

I'm trying to install a cross-compiled version of binutils-2.11, but am running
into problems.  The compilation of binutils goes ok, but the linker that gets
created has a strange value for the architecture that gets supported.  I have an
older version that works correctly:

[macdaddy@schuyler bin]$ strings arm-familiar-linux-ld | grep OUTPUT_ARCH
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm)

As you can see, it's set to the correct value of "arm".  But, when I try to make
a new version of the linker, it looks like this:

[macdaddy@schuyler bin]$ strings arm-familiar-linux-ld | grep OUTPUT_ARCH
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm:schuyler)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm:schuyler)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm:schuyler)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm:schuyler)
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm:schuyler)

For some reason the ":schuyler" gets there.  schuyler is the name of the machine
I'm compiling on, but I'm not passing this value as an argument to the configure
script.  Whenever I try to use the linker, the error message I get mentions not
being able to support the "arm:schuyler" architecture.  Below is the configure
command I am using.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  Thanks.

<src dir>/configure --host=i686-redhat-linux --prefix=<my installation dir>
--target=arm-familiar-linux --with-cpu=strongarm --enable-languages=c,c++