Re: non coherent options, switches and descriptions

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:54:06 +0000
> Cc: binutils@sources.redhat.com, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
> From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.demon.co.uk>

> The plan was to drop -V entirely.

Having flags that never work, and are designed to not be able to ever
work, isn't useful, for this reason, I support this decision.  If
someone wants to keep it, they will come up with a totally new design
that cannot ever break, by design, and reimplement it, after we ripe
all the old code out, so as to not confuse them.

For example, one could install gcc, and gcc-versionstring, while
unlinking gcc before the install to as to preserve and hard linking;
and then if -Vstring is seen on the command line, re-exec gcc-string
outright.  Notice how this _is_ able to handle something as complex as
totally redoing specs, something we _might_ do, or might have already
done.