RE: Binutil compatibility

> > Hi.
> >
> > I am working with PowerPC 401 D2 - in deed PLX IOP480.
> >
> > I have installed GCC chain that uses binutil 2.9.1, gcc 2.95.2 for
> > powerpc-elf. Due to fact that as in that version do not
> support one operand
> > - tlbwe, I have to upgrade to one I hope does support -
> 2.10.1. I would not
> > like to use 2.11, I had quit a bad time with it (and GCC 3.0.1).
>
> What problems did you have with 2.11?

I couldn't make GCC 3.0.1 cross compiler for PowerPC.
I followed instructions, but ...

> > My question is if binutil 2.10 does support operand tlwbe
> (PowerPC Embedded Environment, PowerPC 401D2)

> As for 'tlbwe', there seem to be two versions, one specific to the 403
> and one which is a general Book E instruction.  The general
> instruction was added only after 2.11 was branched, along with much
> other Book E support, and all that will be in 2.12.  The 403-specific
> version was added much earlier.

Interesting.
I have upgraded binutils to 2.10. Some problems are solved.

> > Why am I asking all this? Well, we are very near to a point
> where we would
> > go with commercial compiler. Actually, this is a last cry
> before that.
>
> Have you considered purchasing support for the FSF tools?  There are
> many companies that provide such support.

Problem is we are working with PLX stuff that is done for DIAB compiler
suit. If we have to pay for FSF support, advantage is obviously to buy DIAB
package. They give support with their compiler. Not to mention price of
these support packages - you get what you have paid for. But then again,
where is advantage of GNU? I do not want to live GNU, I would like to use
it. If I could contribute in some way, it is OK, but I don't want to be
obligated to do so.

Again, you get what you have paid for.

Regards,
Sava

p.s.
Another problem with GNU is that you have to justify time spent with it.