RE: PATCH: Modify the mips gas behavior for -g -O

>From Daniel Jacobowitz:
>
> But the case H.J. is changing is '-g -O'.  You've got to expect that
> sort of problem when you compile with optimization.  GCC maintains a
> strict policy of not changing code generation in response to -g flags;
> I think gas should do the same.

Hmmm. Good point. It will make gdb behave badly (ie sometimes the
's' command will be the same as the 'c' command :)

Perhaps the right way is to make the patch, but indicate that user's
should consider adding -Wa,-g if this is a problem? Then I could
compile like:

gcc -g -O2 -Wa,-g

so that I could still use gdb?

On a VxWorks platform what will happen is you get a message in the
shell (vxworks shell) about unable to place breakpoint in delay
slot, and gdb gets stuck.

--don