2.12: branch is closed

At this point, all the issues I wanted resolved for 2.12 have been so.
My plan is to write up some release notes this evening, and roll a
snapshot tonight or tomorrow.  Then a week or so to make sure there
were no calamitous mistakes in the snapshot, and we'll be ready for
release.

Please do not commit anything else to the branch unless a dire crisis
arises.  Everything else gets to wait for the next release.