Re: COFF File Format Spec

"Harshad R Joglekar" <harshad.joglekar@wipro.com> writes:

> I have been trying to find a spec on the COFF file format through Google,
> but could not find a conclusive link.
> There is a DJGPP-COFF standard, but I am not sure if this is THE COFF spec.
>
> Is COFF an open standard? Can someone please post a link?

I've never seen an online version of the COFF spec.  COFF was
originally defined in System V Release 3.  If you can find an old copy
of the programmer's reference manual, I think there is a description
in there.  Or there was an O'Reilly book on COFF; it's long out of
print, but you might be able to find a copy for sale somewhere.

COFF wasn't particularly well defined.  It never had a spec of the
quality of the ELF spec.  In particular, relocations were never
particularly well defined.

Ian