Re: cygwin ld import library issue fix (removing unused "_nm_" symbols)

"Jim" <jbuckeyne@greater.net> writes:

> > You may dream all you like, but "portable" means "works on all the
> > systems we support".  We cannot control the systems.  We can control
> > our sources.  Portability precludes //-style comments in binutils.
>
> Well - personally I thought you had gcc to support all your platforms, which
> for ages has supported either style of comment... there's only a few relics
> I've run across which were barely even functional as compilers that didn't
> support it :)

The general philosophy of the binutils is that you may need to port
the binutils to a system before you can use gcc on that system.  For
example, this was true for a long time for HP/UX (and may still be
true there).  Therefore, the binutils code is written to be portable
to systems which do not have gcc.

Ian