Re: String table optimization?

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 20:51, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:48:36AM +0200, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
> > Do you know of a ld switch one can issue, or can someone explain why this
> > systematicly could not be done safely?
>
> Update to current binutils and gcc 3.1 prelease, and this will happen.

Is this only a binutils issue? I mean shouldn't it work with gcc 2.95.x also?
I think gcc has only control over one object file, however linking them
together should be a binutils specific issue, isn't it? Does it work with
cross targets also?

gcc 3.0 and upward is a little troublesome to use for linux kernels, glibc's
and especially cross-compilers. I'm hesitating to upgrade over gcc 3 for this
purpose, especially a prerelease.