Re: bfd.h installation location

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 05:25:56AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On May 15, 2002, Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > b) install normally when host == target, and install as
> > $target_alias-libbfd.a and $target_alias-bfd.h etc. otherwise.
>
> I like it, but I'd rather have target_alias in directories, instead of
> modifying the filenames, for two reasons:

No. When host == target, as far as installation goes, it is the same
as the native build.

> i) when you include <bfd.h>, tweaking that to include <target-bfd.h>
> conditionally would be painful, and
>
> ii) getting SONAMEs and whatnot right when renaming libbfd at install
> time would be insane, and we don't want to rename libbfd in the build
> tree.
>
> So, I'd rather install libbfd in $(libdir)/x-$(target_alias) and bfd.h
> in $(includedir)/x-$(target_alias).
>
> Then, it's always safe to add -I$(includedir)/x-$(target_alias)
> -L$(libdir)/x-$(target_alias) to the build flags of packages that
> assume a pre-installed bfd; even if they link with a host-x-host
> toolchain, they'll find the right files (assuming it also has
> -I$(includedir) and -L$(libdir)).
>
> That said, I'm not sure cross bfd headers and libraries would be of
> much use, so perhaps we could safely go with (a) and see whether
> anyone complains before introducing the x-$(target_alias) precedent.

What do you mean by "cross bfd headers and libraries"? Under my prefix.
/export/tools, I don't use anything under include and lib to compile
anything. I don't mind the idea to change names under

/export/tools/lib
/export/tools/include

That is when host != target.

But please don't change anything under /usr/lib, /usr/include,
/export/tools/mipsel-linux/include, /export/tools/mipsel-linux/lib,
where host == target.

BTW, I have been cross-compiling RedHat 7.1/7.3 rpms from Linux/x86
and Linux/mips. The only issue for me is libbfd and bfd.h under
/export/tools/lib and /export/tools/include.

H.J.