Re: support for FreeBSD and GNU/FreeBSD

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 08:00:54AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> I am not sure if GNU/FreeBSD should be anything special. For all I
> know, the only reason FreeBSD wants a special target is to run some
> very OLD static Linux binaries, which don't have the .note.ABI-tag

Not quite true.  FreeBSD doesn't parse .note.ABI-tag sections.  I don't
want to get into the debate about that being the best way of branding the
syscall ABI.

> Why does anyone care about them? I don't think anyone will
> miss much if Linux drops their support.

I can't quite parse this, but I can say that FreeBSD'ers would
definiately miss if Acroread, StarOffice, WordPerfect, and serveral other
large binary-only packages stopped working.  But we post-install brand
these; so it is tangental to this discussion.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)