Re: Drop the K&R requirement from binutils?

> There are two different issues here.  The languages that gcc can compile,
> and the language that gcc is written in.  I was commenting on the former
one.
> You are talking about the latter one.  Yes, gcc 3.3 is supposed to be
written
> in a subset of ISO C90 that is compilable by a K&R C compiler, but gcc
3.3
> will itself not support K&R C as an input language.

Does this mean gcc 3.3 will not be able to bootstrap itself, or simply
that their are specific language constructions within K&R which will
become invalid?

As for the general binutils argument, are there any environments where
gcc will not work with the native build tools even though these tools
are adequate enough for gcc to be built in the first place?

Just kind of curious,

Ross

Ross Alexander                           "He knows no more about his
MIS - NEC Europe Limited            destiny than a tea leaf knows
Work ph: +44 20 8752 3394         the history of East India Company"

                      Jim Wilson
                      <wilson@redhat.com>           To:       "John David Anglin" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
                      Sent by:                      cc:       binutils@sources.redhat.com
                      binutils-owner@sources        Subject:  Re: Drop the K&R requirement from binutils?
                      .redhat.com

                      20/08/2002 16:54

>This is not my understanding of the GCC SC decision.

There are two different issues here.  The languages that gcc can compile,
and the language that gcc is written in.  I was commenting on the former
one.
You are talking about the latter one.  Yes, gcc 3.3 is supposed to be
written
in a subset of ISO C90 that is compilable by a K&R C compiler, but gcc 3.3
will itself not support K&R C as an input language.

Jim