Re: Avoid a spurious "*ABS*" symbol (was: Re: stage one of gas reloc rewrite)

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 09:51:03PM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Alan Modra wrote:
> The fx_addsy is in a fixup, and sometimes fixups *don't* have a
> symbol.

Yes.

>  So requiring it for pcrel fixups (that need to turn
> into relocations) is a special case.

Not really.  The (new) generic code indicates that a fixup will need a
relocation by ensuring fx_addsy is non-NULL.  fx_addsy NULL indicates
a fixup that md_apply_fix3 can fully resolve.

>  Ports that need tweaking
> (if any) should only need it in tc_gen_reloc and md_apply_fix3
> (as for tc-mmix.c).

Yes, and at least some ports need changes in md_apply_fix3 if fx_addsy
is NULL for pcrel fixups, because they make use of the above hint
about relocs.  I'm not happy with changing this at this stage, as I've
been trying to keep back-end changes minimal.

If do you want to continue advocating the change, please run the
testsuite against my list of targets.  ;-)

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre