Re: [Patch] sh64: Fix gas testsuite expected output

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Stephen Clarke wrote:
> I'm not sure why sh-*-linux* should include sh64 target vectors.  My understanding
> of "sh" is that it is supposed to be 32-bit sh targets only, and it
> should avoid any overhead required for 64-bit targets.

For "sh" as opposed to "sh4" an other variants, the default is
to include the sh64 vectors, so sh-*-* tools can identify and
interpret sh64 objects.  GDB folks in particular like this.

> I suggest that the sh64 vectors are removed from sh-*-linux*.
> What do the maintainers think?

No, we've been through that before, summarized above.

As H.J. noted, the ambiguity bug is not solved by excluding
vectors.  The elf32-sh64big-linux and elf32-sh64 targets must be
disambiguated somehow; there should be some ELF header info that
tells them apart.  If there is nothing to tell them apart,
something should be added.

brgds, H-P