Re: Committed, MMIX: Fix valgrind-diagnosed elf64-mmix.c bugs

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Alan Modra wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 08:33:56PM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> > +   /* We need to have a _raw_size contents even though there's only
> > +      _cooked_size worth of data, since the generic relocation machinery
> > +      will allocate and copy that much temporarily.  */
>
> Hmm, so should you really be fixing the "generic relocation machinery"
> instead?

No, this is before relocation (after relaxation), so _raw_size
is the right field by definition.  See the comment at the field
definitions: field _cooked_size isn't valid until after
relocation.  Field _raw_size is the one that may be tweaked by
relaxation.  (I guess I should fix the comment above, sorry.)

Well by *current* definition.  Maybe we should change the
definition?  If relocation shrinks a section then it sounds to
me like something that should happen at relaxation.  Perhaps
that was my confusion.  The comment at _raw_size seems
confusing: it's "the original size on disk" and may be bigger
after relaxation?

brgds, H-P