Re: Vendor version strings

Graeme Peterson <gp@qnx.com> writes:

>   "To avoid version conflicts, vendors are expected to modify the file
>    `gdb/version.in' to include a vendor unique alphabetic identifier (an
>    official GDB release never uses alphabetic characters in its version
>    identifer)."
>
> We are in the process of fixing our version string for QNX's release
> of gdb.
>
> Are there any similar requirements for gcc and binutils?  If so, what
> files need modifying, and what conventions are there?

For gcc, see gcc/version.c:

# /* This is the string reported as the version number by all components
#    of the compiler.  If you distribute a modified version of GCC,
#    please modify this string to indicate that, e.g. by putting your
#    organization's name in parentheses at the end of the string.  */

and

# /* This is the location of the online document giving instructions for
#    reporting bugs.  If you distribute a modified version of GCC,
#    please change this to refer to a document giving instructions for
#    reporting bugs to you, not us.  (You are of course welcome to
#    forward us bugs reported to you, if you determine that they are
#    not bugs in your modifications.)  */

It would be good to annotate the manual, via
doc/include/gcc-common.texi, as well.

zw