Re: mips: reduce got size

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:36:06AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> This patch arranges for the linker to better estimate the number of
> got entries it's going to need for local addresses.  Without this
> patch, gcc fails to bootstrap on IRIX 6.  With it, bootstrapping
> succeeds.
>
> Unfortunately, this is still not enough to get gdb to link properly.
> Additional work is going to be necessary for this to work.

Presumably the gdb link failure is a GOT overflow also, and it happens
because the GOT can only contain half as many (or fewer?) symbols resp.
O32?

If so then the thing to do will be multiple GOTs; I spent some time
talking to Eric and possibly Richard about this earlier.  There's
basically a complete implementation of it in elf64-alpha.c that we can
grab and integrate with the MIPS code.  Tedious but not overly complex,
I think.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz