Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.

On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 02:07 PM, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
Unfortunately I think some other aspects of the configure scripts
require --target to be passed down unconditionally. :-/  Otherwise I'd
just change it.
There's a useful thread on the host/target/build business in http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf/2002-02/msg00059.html (which I imagine you're already familiar with, but it makes a nice reference).

I did some preliminary experiments with modifying what the top-level configure passes down, and at least from the binutils/gdb side of things, it looked promising. I ended up changing the top-level configure semantics to match that of autoconf:

configure --build=BUILD --host=HOST --target=TARGET UNDEFS

1. You aren't allowed to specify --host, --build, --target, and undefs at the same time.
2. Build defaults to undefs.
3. If undefs is not specified, then build defaults to the current host, as determined by config.guess.
4. Host defaults to undefs.
5. If undefs is not specified, then host defaults to build.
6. Target defaults to undefs.
7. If undefs is not specified, then target defaults to host.

passing --host means you cross compile (whatever the relationship between host and build)
passing --target means you build a cross-tool (whatever the relationship between host and target).

--host and --target are only passed to sub-configures if they were explicitly passed to the top-level configure on the command-line.

This fixed the problem with things installing in the wrong places; the only fallout was that the emulation-selection code in binutils/ needed to be changed to refer to $target instead of $target_alias. A basic gcc build appeared to work, but I didn't try anything more complicated than a stadard cross-compile setup.