Re: Dwarf 2 section flags ?

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 08:56:37AM -0600, Brian Ford wrote:
> Yes, most bfd targets do this via a strncmp of the section name with
> ".debug".  In my opinion, that is a gross hack.

I disagree.  In the case of ELF, the ELF ABI explicitly states that
sections named .debug* contain debugging information.

> Unfortunately, since there is currently no equivalent to the .stab
> directive for DWARF, and there is currently no way to set the
> debugging flag via the assembly file for sections generated by the
> compiler, I have to give in and use the section name comparison anyway.

There is no ELF section flag for marking debug sections.  SEC_DEBUGGING
in bfd is just an internal flag.  How the flag maps to the target format
must be done in a target dependent way.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre