Inconsistency in freebsd nomenclature

I am constantly running into issues with FreeBSD and building from CVS.
This is related to the naming of the tcl and tk libraries.  BSD seems to
eliminate the "." in versions.  I don't know why.

Now, it would appear that the tcl sources have been changed to use the
"." in FreeBSD versions newer than 3.  sid still looks for all freebsd
versions to use the tcl84 instead of tcl8.4 name.

I sure wish this could be resolved.

The ports version of tcl/tk 8.4 install libs in /usr/local/lib without
the ".".

grrrrr.

Cheers,
Sean