Re: new port for Xtensa processors (bfd files)

Hi Bob,

> I've finally managed to get the Xtensa port working with the
> mainline binutils. (Until recently, it was only in a private copy of
> the 2.12 branch.)  So, here come the patches.  The bfd patch is in
> this message, with other directories to follow separately.

Thanks very much for submitting these patches.  I have approved them
and checked them into the repository.

> I don't think there's anything too unusual about this bfd port.
> There are a few extra files added to support Tensilica's
> configurable Xtensa instruction set.  Let me know if you have
> questions or issues with this.

The only problem that I see is that a couple of the files are
generated by some kind of tool (include/xtensa-config.h
bfd/xtensa-modules.c), and the sources for this tool were not
contributed as well.  Are Tensilica planning to contribute this tool
at some point ?

> I'm not entirely clear on the process used by the binutils group.
> It sounds like there is no problem with me being the maintainer for
> the Xtensa port, and I've got my write-able CVS account set up.  I'm
> assuming that I should get approval for this initial submission, and
> that afterwards, I don't need explicit approval for Xtensa-specific
> changes.

That is correct.  Please also add yourself to the binutils/MAINTAINERS
file in the appropriate place to confirm your maintainership and write
access to the repository.

Cheers
        Nick