Re: Next release

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:35:20PM +0200, Stephane Carrez wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

Binutils version 2.13.2.1 was released three months ago today. That tells
me that we're about do for 2.14. I know there are a couple major
instabilities and unsettled issues right now; if you know any in particular
that you would want resolved before a release please tell me. Similarly if
you have any interesting features you're planning to contribute soon, etc. When I've got a handle on how much needs to settle down before we can
branch, I'll post a schedule.

I have a (big) pending work on HC11/HC12 that I made on 2.12.1 and want to report on 2.14. It factorizes the bfd HC11/HC12 code and implements HC11/HC12 trampoline generation during a final link. It is fully functional on 2.12.1 but I must convert a number of things due to the bfd changes (symbols is what comes to my mind).

Depending on your schedule I'll try to do this during the next 2 weeks
but if you give us a little bit more time I'll definately appreciate.

Hi Stephane,

Any progress?  Given the current state of the tree, I'm considering a
release branch in the next week or so.  I've still got my eye on the
pending -J patch for windres.

Yes. I have the following patchs in my queue:

 - one for ld to support trampoline generation on HC11/HC12
   (new emultempl/m68hc1xelf.em file); I'll commit it today.

 - one for bfd to merge various bfd/elf HC11/HC12 functions from
   elf32-m68hc11.c/elf32-m68hc12.c in a single file 'elf32-m68hc1x.c'
   I'll send the patch today and commit it on monday if it's ok

 - one for bfd to cleanup elf32-m68hc11.c/elf32-m68hc12.c to use the
   shared file (also updates Makefile.am, configure.in to compile the
   new file);  I'll send the patch today and commit on monday.

 - one for ld to use the new emultempl HC11/HC12 file together
   with the bfd part.  Send today, commit on monday.

So, if everything goes well I should have everything by this monday.

Stephane