Re: [rfa] FRV input files

Andrew Cagney writes:
> Having the FSF distribute this code under anything other than the > standard GPL would be an "improvised license change".

Ah, so if I wanted to add, say, a regexp package to Binutils releases
and use it in libopcodes, I'd have to make it GPL right?
[no answers from the peanut gallery please, I want to hear Andrew's opinion]

``add'' or ``contribute to the FSF''? ``I[you]'', or the ``FSF''? ``have to'', or ``should''?

The Free Software Foundation is a movement. That movement has certain objectives, one of which is to make all software Free. A key device in achieving this objective is the GPL. If the FSF makes its code available under a lesser licence then the FSF is compromising its objectives. Any decision to make such a compromise has to be made very very carefully.

Consider GCC. The FSF is not going to modify the strict GPL that applies to GCC's YACC input files so that they contained the proposed exception.

Andrew