Re: forwarded message from H. J. Lu

> Follow
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2003-04/msg00403.html
>
> and all the issues it caused.

As I'm sure you know, labels on the PA have to start at the beginning
of a new line.  They may or may not end with a colon.  There has to be
whitespace between the label, or the start of the line if there is no
label, and the opcode.  The opcode may contain completers.  These are
separated from the instruction mneumonic by commas.  The opcode and the
first operand are separated by whitespace.  Operands are separated by
a comma.  A comment may follow the operand starting with a semicolon.
A new statement can be started with '!' but it can't contain a label.

It would appear safe to remove whitespace after commas in the opcode
and operand fields.  The code in tc-hppa.c assumes whitespace has
been removed from the operands and probably from the opcode.

I still don't fully understand what caused the breakage.  It could be
related to the ia64 label/opcode identification problem.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)