Re: [patch] MIPS/Linux: Let one select the default ABI for 64-bit

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
 Well, admittedly, "mips64" as an alias for n32 is a wacked-out name for
me.  I would assume <CPU>64 means full support for a <CPU> in it's 64-bit
mode.  The (n)64 ABI fullfills it, but the n32 one doesn't as it's support
for 64 bits is partial from the binutils' POV and minimal from the gcc's
one.  Of course the participants of this mailing list, including you and
me, fully understand these subtleties, but I wouldn't be so sure about
everybody else, including many people at the <linux-mips@linux-mips.org>
list, let alone others.

On that note, it sure would be nice if people would document in either the mips-linux FAQ or the respective project FAQs what ./configure flags and triplets(or quintuplets) produce what with respect to the modern & cvs versions of binutils, gcc, & glibc. Maybe documenting the discussion about which abi is best for what would be a nice addition. Because, frankly, I wouldn't blame anyone for being confused, especially considering the configuration inconsistencies across the full toolchain and notable lack of documentation describing what they do.

Just my opinion...

Cheers,
Nicholas