binutils-2.13.91: ARM_26D Relocs

I am working with Craig on the gcj port for WinCE (arm-wince-pe).

I seem to have strange problems with ARM_26D relocs.
pe-dll.c:generate_reloc() says "Error: 24-Bit reloc in dll".

The problematic functions all seem to have callers
from the file they are in and also external calls,
(which should be no problem). The external calls might
be "far away". They are also in .stab entries.

I do not have ARM_26D relocs when assembling with
an older gas.

Craig said it would be fixed in the latest snapshot,
but I cannot see any fix in the diffs I have run,
only a new option $enable_26bit in a configure file,
which seems to be dead for compilng...

Could someone briefly explain how ARM_26D relocs are
supposed to work and why they are used?

Is there a performance penalty when not using them?

Visit us at : www.allgeier.com