Re: PATCH: Very interesting IA64 gas bug

"H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> One other thing I like to support is multiple sections with the same
> name for SHT_GROUP:

> What is the best way to support it?

I probably don't know all the issues.  But BFD already supports
multiple sections with the same name.  The problem is that the ELF
backend always calls subseg_new() in obj_elf_change_section().

If there is a group, you could change obj_elf_change_section() to look
through the sections using bfd_get_section_by_name().  If the section
does not already exist with the right group, then
obj_elf_change_section() would call subseg_force_new() rather than
subseg_new().  Otherwise obj_elf_change_section() would call
subseg_set() with the right section.

There are probably some incorrect details.  But it seems to me that
that general approach ought to work.

Ian