Re: Partial autoconf transition thoughts

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> |>  Well, if I specify --host, I mean I want to use a different alias than
> |> the one that is expanded by config.sub.
>
> I think you are supposed to use --build instead.

 But then host (correctly) defaults to build but host_alias (incorrectly)
defaults to host.  I mean the current dependency between variables in
autoconf is as follows ("(sub)" meaning passing through config.sub):

                guess

override -(sub)-+  |
|               |  |
v               v  v
build_alias <-- build

override -(sub)-+  |
|               |  |
v               v  v
host_alias <--- host

override -(sub)-+  |
v               v  v
target_alias <- target

And I would like to see it as follows:

            guess

override -> build_alias --(sub)-> build

override -> host_alias ---(sub)-> host

override -> target_alias -(sub)-> target

I think it makes sense and the dependencies seem even simpler.

  Maciej