Re: Invalid processor variant -mcpu=strongarm1100

> This option doesn't seem to exist under binutils 2.11.2, although it
> does under 2.14. (I'm stuck with 2.11.2 for a little while, until I can
> figure out why 2.14 isn't working.) Although, the string 'strongarm1100'
> does appear in the arm-wince-pe-as binary. Did the name of the switch
> change?
>
> Thanks,
> Shaun
>

> binutils-2.11.2
> gcc-3.3
> --target=arm-wince-pe
>
> $ arm-wince-pe-gcc -mcpu=strongarm1100 -c -o hello.o hello.c
> Assembler messages:
> Error: Invalid processor variant -mcpu=strongarm1100
> make: *** [hello.o] Error 1

gcc-3.3 requires a version of gas that can directly parse the
-mcpu=<cpuname> option.  Older assemblers used -m<cpuname> and had a very
ad-hoc way of matching up cpu names to attributes (and occasionally got it
wrong); it also required gcc to try to translate the command line options
into something that gas could eat.

I forget precisely which version of gas first incorporated the new code, I
think it was 2.12, but it might be later than that.

R.

PS If you are really stuck, you might be able to hack the "specs" file in
the install area (something like lib/gcc-lib/arm-elf-3.3/specs) and change
the rule to use the old syntax, but you'll have to figure out the details
of the change for yourself.