Re: parallelized 'ld'?

An interesting idea, and one I, at least, never considered.  At one
point the linker was mainly disk bound, which suggests that
parallelization will not bring a big improvement.  However, I did that
profiling 7 or 8 years ago, on Sun hardware running Solaris, and it is
quite possible that on modern hardware the tradeoffs are very
different.

The numbers have likely changed but the the tradeoffs haven't. In fact, if anything, disks have got slower(1). Consequently, I'd expect the traditional bottle necks of I/O bandwidth and memory usage(2) to still apply.

Andrew

(1) A vax had a 14ms latency disk, looking at a random modern disk it has 3ms latency - 5x faster. CPUs on the other hand are 1000x faster.

(2) GDB needs to keep an eye on context switch / kernel overhead