Re: as.exe 2.14 -mips3 with -n32 option gives Invalid bfd target

Ken Faiczak wrote:
> thanks,
> i changed bfd/config.bfd and got the correct result
>

> and I think this is right since for vxworks/rtem/elf it should support
> all ABI since you have no idea how the os may be compiled (it is shipped
> with as one typically may be rebuilt by some customers) so it should
> support all ABI

This can't be the full truth since the OS will need some more support
for n32, e.g. NewABI calling conventions and 64 bit register width.
It's not just a matter of compilation. OTOH, it won't do much harm to
include the n32 stuff.

> and certainly mips*-*-none should support all ABI as well.

This depends on how mips*-*-none is actually used. I don't know if
it is used at all.

[snip]
> Hmmm, looks like you need to configure with
>     --enable-targets=mips-sgi-irix6
> or
>     --enable-targets=mips-unknown-linux
> in order to get -n32 support.
>
> There is certainly a bug here.  Either the assembler should reject
> -n32 with some coherent error message, or BFD for MIPS targets should
> include support for the N32 MIPS targets by default.

I'd prefer the latter, but undiscriminately adding the BFD64 requirement
to all MIPS configurations without much testing isn't a good idea.

IOW, until now nobody showed up with interest in n32 support for
those configurations.

> Incidentally, there seems to be some duplication between elf32-mips.c
> and elfn32-mips.c, which looks to me like a bad idea.

It avoids to export most of functions and data globally, and some
parts are slightly different. The common code is in elfxx-mips.c.

Thiemo