as & readelf "Error: Cannot stat input file no.elf" style message

Hello,

I noticed the /readelf/ and /as/ had a different message from objdump,
nm, objcopy,
strings and strip; when the file passed as an argument does not exist.

I was going to make a patch, to amend /readelf/ and /as/ to be the same
as the other programs when wondered if directories are valid arguments
to these programs?

I can make a patch to change /readelf/ and /as/ to the "strings: No such
file or directory" style message.  Or if as I think, the directory part
of the message is not relevant I can make patch to change all of the
programs to "strings: No such file" style messages. (e.g. "[nm test]
results in [nm: test: Is a directory] as it as at present".

Would a patch to change these be desired?

Kind regards

JG

readelf -s no.elf
readelf: Error: Cannot stat input file no.elf.

as test.s Assembler messages: Error: can't open test.s for reading test.s: No error

also, ld is only slightly different.

ld test.a
ld: cannot open test.a: No such file or directory

objdump -t no.elf
objdump: no.elf: No such file or directory

nm no.elf
nm: no.elf: No such file or directory

objcopy no.elf
objcopy: no.elf: No such file or directory

strings no.elf
strings: no.elf: No such file or directory

strip no.elf
strip: no.elf: No such file or directory

$ addr2line test.c addr2line: a.out: No such file or directory