restoring archive from execuable

Hello!

I have a program which has been statically linked with a library such that the code from the library is now in the executable (I can see the functions with 'nm'). The nasty thing is that I don't have the library but I would like to build another executable to be linked with it.
Is it possible to somehow extract the code from the executable and rebuild my library?
I tried with objcopy but it does not seem to be obvious probably because I'm not very familiar with these issues.

I'm using SuSE 7.3 and binutils 2.11.90.

Please answer directly because I'm not subscribed to the list.

Thanks a lot,
mache