Re: How to configure binutils for "other" architectures etc

>I'm sure this question has been asked before -- surprising there is
>nothing in the manuals, at least where I've looked.
>Background:
>I have a Linux "pc" (Redhat 8.2 on i686) that I want to setup for
>cross development, target = powerpc How do I configure the binutils to
>recognize something other than the native platform formats? Are there
>command line args to the configure script? What are they? Is there a
>summary somewhere?

You can try Dan Kegel's crosstool script, or you can just build your
own.

There are two configure options you'll be interested in:

--prefix=<dirname>
which indicates where to install the tools

--target=<targetdescriptor>
which indicates what target to build for.

Another suggestion is to no build in binutils source directory...

In your case I'll assume you want powerpc for an unadorned
board(i.e. no linux operating system):

mkdir /tmp/binutils-obj
cd /tmp/binutils-obj
/path/to/binutils/source/directory/configure  --target=powerpc-eabi --prefix=/tmp/binutils-ppc-eabi
make; make install

--
Peter Barada                             Peter.Barada@motorola.com
Wizard                                   781-852-2768 (direct)