Re: ld input file and INPUT command - file location problem

Hi Nick,

> > When a library file is the argument to INPUT command, the archive
> > library search path is searched, and the archive is found. However,
> > for object files the search path isn't searched. E.g. if file.o
> > resides in .., and -L.. is used in the command line, and the linker
> > script has the line:
> >
> > INPUT(file.o)
> >
> > then ld returns the following error:
> > "cannot open file.o": No such file or directory".
>
> Which version of the sources are you using ?  I tried the current
> sources in the CVS repository and could not reproduce this failure.

You are absolutely right. I cannot reproduce this either, although
I was certain that it happened several times before sending in the
report. Either the test case wasn't as general as I thought, or the
error output of the second problem mislead me (solved by you below).
If I encounter the problem again I'll report it.

> Please could you try out the patch below and let me know if it solves
> the problem for you ?
>
> Cheers
>         Nick
>
> 2003-10-30  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>
>
>         * ldlang.c (lookup_name): When looking for a previously loaded
>         file compare the local_sym_name not the filename, as the
>         filename might have been transformed via the search directory
>         path lookup.
>         If the sought-for file has not been found in the input file
>         chain then create a new node with the search_dirs_flag set so
>         that the entire set of directory paths will be scanned for it.

Yes, it certainly does solve it (for both objects and archives).

Thank you,
Galit.