RE: SH relocation differences in older versions of the binutils

Turns out that this isn't exactly the problem we're having.  We're still
using 2.12.1, which is well before these changes were made.  Also, as a
happy coincidence, none of the relocs that we emit seem to have moved so
hopefully we can gracefully begin to use a new version of the binutils in
the near future without this causing us headaches.

The problem we're having boils down to what seems to be a fix for the way
that the SH ld handled addends in 2.10.1.  Specifically the changes proposed
in this posting: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-09/msg00302.html

To help us work with both of these issues we're wondering a couple of
things.

1)  Is there currently, or should there be, some sort of indicator included
in object files that specifies which version of the binutils it was produced
with?

2)  Is there a reliable method of determining whether an SH object file is
using the addends correctly?  We want to be able to detect and warn, or
potentially correct older objects.