Re: Problem resolving symbol in object indirectly included by another object.

Grrrr.  It was the order.  And I tried that too.  Must have moved it up
instead of down the list.  Too many *#%&! libraries...  Maybe I'll try
the -( -) stuff.

Thanks, and never mind.

--- "H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:38:31PM -0800, Wayne Johnson wrote:
> > I'm not sure if this is a fault or feature.  It does appear to
> operate
> > different than other platforms we're using...
> >
> > We have a shared object (call it A) that is linked with code in a
> static
> > archive (call this B).  There are function calls in B that refer to
> > functions in libxml2.a (another static library).  There are no calls
> > libxml2 directly from our code in the objects included in our shared
> > object (A).
> >
> > When I attempt to load the shared object, I get an error that a
> symbol
> > (xmlFree) that should have been resolved by including the libxml2
> library
> > in the link of the shared object is undefined.  Using ldd and
> objdump,
> > this is confirmed.
> >
> > I linked with a map of the shared object, it shows that libxml2.a is
> > loaded but there is no indication that the symbol(s) were resolved.
> No
> > errors either.
> >
> > If we put an unused libxml2 call in these objects, everything works
> fine.
> >
> > Shouldn't a function call to a static archive that contains a
> function
> > call to another static archive work?
> >
> > I've tried this in binutils-2.9.5 (RH6.2) and binutils-2.11.93
> (RH7.3).
> >
> > Any ideas?  Is this a bug?  Feature?  Cockpit error?  Thanks.
> >

> It works for me. You didn't provide a testcase. I can only guess that
> you used "-lxml2 -lB". You should use "-lB -lxml2".
>

> H.J.

=====
---
Wayne Johnson,             | There are two kinds of people: Those
3943 Penn Ave. N.          | who say to God, "Thy will be done,"
Minneapolis, MN 55412-1908 | and those to whom God says, "All right,
(612) 522-7003             | then,  have it your way." --C.S. Lewis