Relocation

Could someone please help me understand how
address resolution is performed when a program
is run.

For instance;

.text
  pushl     global_variable
  call         some_func
  .
  .
  .

.data
  .long   global_variable
.
.
.

What takes place (Linux Redhat 9 x86)  when the pushl
needs the actual address for global_variable?

Who looks up global_variable in the symbol table, and
fixes addresses with their offsets?

I know it is in the loader, but that is about it.
I need to modify this process, and I don't
know where the source is.

Regards,
Brian