Re: Question on PowerPC relocation error

Momchil Velikov wrote:

"Joel" == Joel Sherrill <joel.sherrill@oarcorp.com> writes:

Joel> .../ld: ../../../../../mvme2307/lib/librtemsbsp.a(vectors.rel): the Joel> target (globalExceptHdl) of a R_PPC_EMB_SDA21 relocation is in the Joel> wrong output section (.bss)

   Joel>  What does this error mean and what am I looking for as a
   Joel> mistake?

Unfortunately, binutils maintainers insist on this broken behaviour.

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2001-02/msg00442.html

~velco

At least I now understand that the variable in question is ended up in a short
section. The compiler is doing it automatically. Whether this is broken or not,
I need a fix to apply to the code in question.

Is there a recommended solution? I can think of two alternatives:

+ declare the variable with an attribute attribute but I don't know what section
to force it into.

+ declare it in assembly but I still don't know the right section.

So what section does it have to be in?

--joel