Re: ARM EABI v3

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 06:19:05PM +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> The ARM EABI is about binary compatibility between multiple compilers
> amongst other things.  Part of that binary compatibility requires that
> the version field of the flags header is set correctly.
>
> In addition to that the existing attributes mechanism is horribly broken
> (not to mention wasteful of a rather valuable resource).  For example,
> it can't distinguish between hard-float, soft-float and no float at all
> (many flags are often marked incorrectly in object files) and it can't
> tell you about several sub-architecture variations.  I'm not sure yet
> what the best replacement is, but it will certainly not be by using the
> flags field in the header.

Yes, I understand that.  My concern is that with just this patch, we've
lost this valuable information (when someone chooses to use the new
flag, that is).  I've seen this discussed on and off for years, and
there's still no standard way to record this information in EABI
objects.

I get a lot of bug reports from people trying to link incompatible bits
of code together.  At least now, I can tweak binutils to warn.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz