RE: "already configured" for dejagnu after gmake distclean.

  Well, it pretty much has to be the case; the evidence is all those
generated files that were showing up as being in your source tree when you
did the cvs update.  Every single one of those lines beginning '?' should
not have been there.  Perhaps you did the reconfigure, then belatedly
remembered about distclean and ran it, then re-reconfigured; if you'd
already started the reconfigure, however, it might have already rewritten
the makefiles so that by the time you did the distclean it was deleting
stuff from the object dir not the source dir.  It's hard to know how it
first went wrong, but that's certainly the state it ended up in.

> > in the source tree.  In theory, configure could be
> protected against
> > this, detect when generated files were found in the source
> tree, and
> > automatically do a distclean itself, but people don't often tend to
> > switch from the one style of building to the other, so it
> hasn't been done.
>
> I'd suggest that this is more common than might be thought,
> because it is one of the often-suggested remedies to an
> unsuccessful build, that the build should be done in a
> different directory.  This is going from what I have seen on
> gcc, binutils lists, anyway.

  I'm in full agreement with you.  AFAIC configure should flat-out refuse to
run in the source tree.  It's nothing but a source of trouble and confusion.
It could even be the case that 'make distclean' has a bug in it and hasn't
been working properly when run in the source dir for some time, but nobody's
noticed....

    cheers,
      DaveK