Re: darwin host?

Alan Modra wrote:

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 06:06:25PM -0700, Jason Molenda wrote:

Our patched set of binutils does configure BFD and binutils, but I haven't looked at how far we diverge from the FSF sources in this directory.

I hope it isn't Apple policy to perpetuate this fork.

Apple's policy, as I understand it, is to work with the free software
community. In practice, as with just about every other vendor I know
of who works with GNU, there will be some differences with FSF versions.
We don't like having differences, for the purely selfish reason that
they make it harder to merge in new FSF sources. On the other hand, if
our users need a change that the rest of the GNU developers don't want
to include, or if it would take more time and effort than we can afford
in order to get a change acceptable for FSF, we're going to keep the
change anyway.

In fact, one of the reasons I was asking about gas features recently
was to assess the costs and benefits of re-merging the version that
we forked over a decade ago.

Stan