Re: [RFD] New binutil 'objsplit'

"E. Weddington" <eric@ecentral.com> writes:

> On 21 Apr 2004 at 12:12, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
>>> Well, for purposes of building libgcc.a, it would be *so* much simpler
>> if it could be boiled down to
>>
>> ./xgcc -B./ -ffunction-sections -yada -yada libgcc2.c
>> ar cr --split-object libgcc.a libgcc2.o
>>
>> or similar.  But this would require us to (a) support
>> -ffunction-sections on all targets, and (b) require binutils on all
>> targets, neither of which things will ever happen
>
> I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the arguments for either of these.
>
> Could you explain a little further, why not (a),

GCC supports several object file formats (such as a.out) that cannot
handle -ffunction-sections.

> and if GCC is now requiring GNU Make, why not, *at some point in the
> future*, (b)?

binutils doesn't support all the targets that gcc supports; it would
be a tremendous amount of work to get complete parity; you hedge this
with your 'at some point in the future' but I don't see it happening
within five years.

zw