linkonce directive

Hi all,

Following is piece of descriptions that I have found from GNU document
(as.html) for the assembler .linkonce [<type>].

"Mark the current section so that the linker only includes a single copy
of it. This may be used to include the same section in several different
object files. But ensure that the linker will only include it once in
the final output file".

If this directive is specified then we cannot have redundant sections.
(i.e)If the section name and sections contents are same then that
section will be deleted from the '.o' file.

Is my understanding correct?. Please correct me if I am wrong...I am
also not clear how this directive will impact the linker behaviour..
I am using ELF format, Does this directive valid?

Regards
K.Feroz