Re: [patch] MIPS gas problems with gcc's explicit relocs

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

which I find consistent with my assumption addresses should be handled
uniformly universally.  The book was largely written by Dominic Sweetman
and Nigel Stephens, so perhaps they can express their opinions whether
using "la" for anything beyond symbol literals is broken or not.  I find
it a natural consequence of the macro being "load *address*" after all.

I agree with Maciej. The definition of the "la" macro surely requires that it must accept any address syntax that would be valid for "lw".

The "li" macro naturally rejects any non-immediate addresses as it's
"load *immediate*".

Yes, "la" is a superset of "li".