Re: [Gdb] removing src/dejagnu, src/expect

> At yesterday's GCC Summit testing BOF, there was a strong concensus
> that these directories should be removed from the src tree and that
> developers should install the latest releases of Expect and Dejagnu
> from their distribution/packaging system or from a source tarball at
> ftp.gnu.org.

Err, I'm kinda surprised that the "GCC Summit" has enough src/
people to make decisions about src/.  Are Andrew Cagney (gdb)
and Daniel Jacobowitz (binutils) there?

Nevertheless, I'm all for killing these packages in src/!
src/expect dates back to 1998, that's just wrong.

I test gdb with the stock released versions: tcl 8.4.6 + expect 5.41.0 +
dejagnu 1.4.4.  Here's my experience by host platform:

  i686-pc-linux-gnu
    run gdb test suite regularly.  occasionally, i run with both
    sourceware tcl+expect+dejagnu and stock tcl+expect+dejagnu
    and compare the results.  the results always match.

  hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11
    run gdb test suite occasionally.  works fine.

  alphaev68-dec-osf5.1
  i386-unknown-freebsd4.9
  ia64-hp-hpux11.22
  ia64-hp-hpux11.23
    built tcl+expect+dejagnu, haven't run them.

Watch out for Cygwin.  Has anyone run the gdb test suite on Cygwin
recently?  Can someone make two test runs, one with sourceware
tcl+expect+dejagnu and one with stock tcl+expect+dejagnu, and compare
the results?

Michael C