Re: gas on Mac OS X

Martin Schaffner <schaffner@gmx.li> writes:

> Design issues
> --------------
> Mach-O has two unique features: Indirect Symbols and Weak
> References. The proper way to support them is probably to add support
> to bfd. Can a BFD expert speak up on how to add this?
>
> Here is the previous discussion, which ended because I hadn't
> completed my copyright assignment yet:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-04/msg00510.html
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-04/msg00546.html

The docs for indirect symbols make them seem more or less like XCOFF
function descriptors, except that they are simpler because the
compiler, not the linker, generates the stub code.  It doesn't sound
like you have to do anything special in the compiler.  The linker just
has to discard unnecessary stubs.  It's not obvious that the assembler
has to do anything at all.

Weak references sounds to me like ELF weak undefined symbols, so you
can support them in the same manner.

For more information I think you will need to ask more specific
questions.

Ian