This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: HPPA ELF DT_PLTGOT handling
- From: "John David Anglin" <dave at hiauly1 dot hia dot nrc dot ca>
- To: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Cc: skrll at netbsd dot com
- Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:49:42 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: Re: HPPA ELF DT_PLTGOT handling
> A much more convenient (from the POV of the dynamic linker) is to always set
> DT_PLTGOT to a pointer to the GOT. glibc goes searching for the GOT which it
> would no longer need to do. Is this worth considering?
No. It would change the ABI and break existing code.
I agree that trying to choose a value for elf_gp that is best for accessing
this data is pretty much a waste of time since we don't try to eliminate
unnecessary addil instructions, or sort the data to improve access. This
is something that the HP linker does.
J. David Anglin email@example.com
National Research Council of Canada (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)