This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: MIPS branches to external symbols
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:02:29 -0400
- Subject: Re: MIPS branches to external symbols
- References: <20040713005722.GA31335@nevyn.them.org>
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:57:22PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> This is a topic which has come up every year or so...
> Current versions of binutils disallow branches, which use a 16-bit
> shifted-by-2 pc-relative relocation, to both external symbols. I would
> like to turn this feature back on.
> I've been checking the archives for discussion of this and the most
> recent I see is:
> This re-enabled branches to global symbols in the same object. I can't
> locate the discussion of the remaining problems with re-enabling this
> for external symbols. Can someone give me a pointer, or a good reason
> to disallow this?
A little more searching gave me:
It looks like the only response was Eric wanting testcases... if that's
all, I'm sure we can come up with some!